THE BYLAWS OF THE BURLINGTON BASEBALL ASSOCIATION, INC.
BURLINGTON BASEBALL/SOFTBALL ASSOCIATION and BBSA
AS OF JUNE 4, 2008
NAME OF ORGANIZATION
The name of the organization shall be BURLINGTON BASEBALL ASSOCIATION, INC. d/b/a BURLINGTON BASEBALL/SOFTBALL ASSOCIATION and BBSA.
PURPOSE AND OBJECTIVES
SECTION A – PURPOSE
The Burlington Baseball Association, Incorporated (hereafter known as the BBSA) is a non-profit corporation developed and maintained for the children and young adults of Burlington through eighteen (18) years of age, committed to the development and refinement of their athletic skills, through positive competitive experiences, instruction and guidance.
SECTION B – OBJECTIVES
- To provide quality instructions in the development of baseball and softball skills, within the framework of the fundamental rules and regulations of sports.
- To provide guidance to participants with an emphasis on the development of the spirit of fair play and good citizenship.
- To provide quality equipment and adequate field conditions, for the participants of the BBSA.
- To provide the best qualified managers, coaches, and umpires through the screening and evaluation procedures, with the emphasis on the knowledge of baseball and softball rules, ability to relate positively to youth participants, past commitments, dedication and pledge to follow the rules and regulations, and the bylaws of the BBSA.
- To offer experiences for the Burlington youth to compete with players from outside of Burlington.
- To continue to oppose discrimination and provide equal opportunity to all youths without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, or sex.
- To operate as a non-political organization.
- To cooperate with the other town agencies or organizations in order to foster the purposes and objectives of the organization without binding the organization to commitment with other organizations or agencies.
The membership of the BBSA shall be defined as all elected members of the Board of Directors, all managers and rostered coaches and other volunteers as voted on or appointed by the Board of Directors.
The voting membership for Board Meetings is limited to Board members in good standing,
The Board of Directors shall determine “members in good standing” by votes held as necessary at Board meetings. The Board of Directors may add to or remove from this list at any Board meeting.
SECTION D – DEFINITION OF TERMS
- Board of Directors – The ruling body of the BBSA elected to serve a one-year term at the June Annual Meeting, Executive board positions (President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer and Past President) shall serve a two-year term each beginning in the even numbered calendar year.
- Volunteer – Person voted on or appointed by the Board of Directors to perform the duty of manager, coach or any other duty approved by the Board of Directors in the fulfillment of the purpose and objectives of the BBSA. Volunteers shall include all rostered coaches.
- Membership – The Board of Directors and any volunteers covered by #2 above.
- Participant – Any child or young adult properly registered in timely fashion to participate in the BBSA. Non-residents of Burlington require the approval of the Board of Directors to participate in the BBSA.
- Executive Board – The President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary and Past President. The Board of Directors will elect a replacement for the remainder of the current term if a position is vacated, except for the position of Past President..
- Past President – The most immediate Past President who may serve up to two, two year terms in this position The candidate must be approved by the Board of Directors.
- Approval – Unless stated otherwise, Approval shall mean a simple majority vote of those present.
EXECUTIVE BOARD AND BOARD OF DIRECTORS
The Executive Board of the BBSA shall be the President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer and Past President. Their duties shall be those normally ascribed to such offices and as outlined in the by-laws.
The Main Body of the Board of Directors of the BBSA shall consist of the five (5)officers named above plus a Public Relations Director, a Baseball Commissioner, a Softball Commissioners, a Director of Registration, a Fund Raising Director, a Director of Special Events, a Web Site Director, an Equipment Manager and an Assistant Equipment Manager.
The Board of Directors shall include a representative from each league. Leagues may be added, removed or changed by a majority vote of the Board of Directors.
Board positions may be added or removed by a two-thirds majority vote of the Board of Directors.
The Board of Directors of the BBSA shall meet at least once a month between January 1 and June 30. Other meetings may be scheduled as needed. Notice of time and place will be given to all members at least two (2) weeks in advance. Special meetings may be called by the Executive Board as needed without the required notice.
The Board of Directors of the BBSA may call before it any officer or member to explain action(s).
Any special committees may be established at the direction of the Board of Directors of the BBSA. When the task is accomplished and completed, the committee will cease to exist. The chairperson of any committee and its members shall be appointed by the President, with the approval of the Board of Directors, except as otherwise provided in the by-laws.
Any officer or member of the Board of Directors who is absent from three (3) consecutive unexcused meetings, shall forfeit his/her office unless excused attendance by the Board of Directors.
The president shall declare vacant the position of any officer or Board of Directors member who has been removed from or voluntarily left the Board. The president shall announce any vacancy to the Board of Directors, accept candidates, and appoint a person to fill the temporary vacancy with Approval of the Board of Directors.
The Chairperson of a special committee shall be invited to attend Board of Directors meetings. They shall have voice but no vote at these meetings if they are not elected members of the Board of Directors.
Any Member of the BBSA may attend the Open Forum session of any meeting of the Board of Directors, and shall have voice, but no vote, except under conditions specifically covered in these By–Laws. The Open Forum will be the first agenda item of Board meetings.
NOMINATION AND ELECTIONS
Nominations shall be submitted in writing via email or regular mail to the Web Site Director and Secretary. Candidates for every position shall be posted on the Web Site prior to elections.
Elections shall be held every yearlly membership meeting.
Candidates for election must be members in good standing.
The election shall be by secret ballot by a majority vote of the members in good standing present at the membership meeting at which elections take place.
The Secretary and Treasurer will count the votes and shall notify the President of the results. The President shall then notify all newly elected officers and Board members.
In case of an officer’s resignation or termination, the President or next officer in charge shall appoint an interim replacement with Approval of the Board of Directors. In the case of the President’s resignation or termination, the vice-president shall fill the vacated office and appoint a member in good standing as vice-president, with Approval of the Board of Directors.
The treasurer shall be responsible for the keeping of all records of BBSA monies. He/she shall account for all income and expenditures. See Article XI Section D.
He/she shall file a written financial report quarterly with the Board of Directors and shall file a written financial report with the membership at the annual membership meeting.
An expenditure over two hundred and fifty dollars ($250.00) shall be approved by the Board of Directors of the BBSA. All checks greater than one thousand dollars ($1,000) shall be signed by the Treasurer and cosigned by either the President or Vice President.
The Treasurer shall present a yearly budget recommendation to the Board of Directors by November 1st. The BBSA fiscal year shall be from October 1st to September 30th. This budget shall be approved by the Board of Directors with a majority vote.
The Board of Directors may appoint any authorized accountant to make a full, signed year end report of finances. No member of the Board of Directors shall accept this appointment.
Registration fees shall be part of the recommended budget and shall be approved yearly by the Board of Directors.
No child will be denied registration due to economic need, with the approval of the Executive Board.
Donations/contributions to outside agencies and/or organizations is prohibited, except as voted by the Board of Directors of the BBSA
Up to five (5) scholarships may be awarded annually by the Board of Directors to former participants of the BBSA who graduate, or it’s equivalence, in that year. The amount will be Approved each year by the Board of Directors of the BBSA.
The BBSA shall, with annual approval of its Board of Directors, affiliate with the Ripken Baseball and Babe Ruth Baseball National Organization Any vote on affiliation changes shall be approved by a two-thirds vote of the entire Board of Directors and by two-thirds of the membership at the meeting. An active member of another affiliation will have no vote in any matter considering affiliation.
AMENDMENTS TO BY-LAWS
Amendments to these by-laws may be proposed by either a majority vote of the Board of Directors of the BBSA or by a majority vote of the membership.
Proposed amendments shall be considered by the Board of Directors and shall be announced to the membership, in writing, at least fourteen (14) days in advance of the next membership meeting.
The proposed amendment(s) shall become part of the By-laws of the BBSA by a two–thirds vote of the Board of Directors
The Board of Directors shall have one meeting per year devoted strictly to By-law amendments and revisions. Amendments can be proposed by any board member in good standing. Amendments and/or revisions shall be discussed and voted on by board of members in good standing. Approval shall require a two-thirds vote of the board members in attendance. Amendments and/or revisions approved during this .By-law meeting are temporary but shall be set in place immediately after voted on and remain in effect until the next membership meeting where they can be voted on to become a part of the By-laws.
COMMUNICATION AND PUBLIC RELATIONS
- Publicity releases, website expressing an Official position of the BBSA must be approved by a majority in advance by the Board of Directors, and must be issued from the Office of the President with his/her written signature.
- No member of the BBSA including the Board of Directors is allowed to state personal opinions relative to the BBSA in either publicity releases or interviews with media representatives.
- Public information notices to activities of the BBSA must be issued through the office of the publicity director, and who will review those notices with the Board of Directors to ensure validity/accuracy, as well as checking for compliance of paragraphs 1 and 2 of this subsection.
- All publicity releases describing the results of BBSA games will be issued by the Publicity Director or his/her officially designated league publicity representative.
- Arrangements with outside media for radio, television, or press coverage of BBSA games and or activities must be first cleared through the BBSA Publicity Director.
Reports of the officers of standing and special committees must be printed and legible when presented to the Board of Directors or the Membership. These reports shall be made a permanent part of the BBSA file kept by the secretary.
No individual member of groups shall have the authority to be a spokesperson for the BBSA unless authorized by the Executive Board.
The BBSA Publicity Director will have the responsibility for monitoring radio/television and press releases to ensure compliance with Section A, B, C, and D of this article. He/she will notify the President and the Board of Directors if any violations of these provisions are observed.
Any questions relative to public communications, media releases, and/or media interviews should be referred to the BBSA President, Vice President, or Publicity Director for guidance and attainment of the proper approvals, when required.
A quorum of the Board of Directors shall be fifty (50) % of the filled Main Body positions.
A quorum of the general membership meeting shall be fifty (50) % of the entire Board of Directors filled positions.
A guest wishing to attend a general membership meeting must notify the President of the Board of Directors at least ninety six (96) hours in advance of the meeting they wish to attend, unless there is an incident requiring attention which is within the 96 hour window.
A suspended member loses the right to voice and vote.
In the absence of any provisions in these by-laws, the latest version of Robert’s Rules of Order shall be binding.
A copy of the by-laws shall be made available to every member of the BBSA upon request.
The BBSA operational rules, playing regulations and procedures shall be listed in a separate document.
Order of Business at Meetings:
Call in order
- Open Forum
- Secretary’s report
- Treasurer’s report
- President’s report
- Committee Reports
- Old Business
- New Business
No awards of remembrances shall be given to any player, member or other person without the prior approval of the Board of Directors.
The Board of Directors shall set a final registration date each season.
The President shall:
- Preside at all meetings of the BBSA.
- Report all official activities at the Board of Directors and Membership meetings.
- Be responsible for the work of all committees.
- Be interpreter for the work of all committee.
- Bring matters of complaint to the rest of the board members for discussion
The Vice-President shall:
- Report to the President on assigned duties.
- Preside at all Board of Directors and Membership meetings in the absence of the President.
- Assume all duties assigned by the President.
The Secretary shall:
- Keep an accurate record of all Board of Directors and General Membership meetings.
- Keep attendance at all meetings.
- Report to the President, Board of Directors and Membership
- Be responsible for distributing minutes and agenda at the Board of Director’s meetings.
- Be responsible for keeping all official records of the BBSA.
- Notify all Board of Director’s meetings.
- Notify members of membership meetings.
- Set up a yearly By-law reviewing meeting and provide members with an updated copy of the By-laws.
The Treasurer shall:
- Be responsible for all BBSA monies and financial records.
- Develop a yearly budget in cooperation with the Board of Directors.
- Pay all bills approved by the Board of Directors.
Further Treasurer duties are listed under Article VI
Any executive board member must bring forward to the rest of the board any matters of complaint or issues that warrant discussion whether sent to them by email, phone call, verbally, or written.
SECTION A – COACHES AND MEMBERSHIP MEETINGS
There shall be an annual Coaches meeting held in the period between March 1st thru April 30th There will be a membership meeting in June for the purpose of conducting elections. All members shall be notified at least fourteen (14) days in advance of the membership meeting time and place.
SECTION B – COMMITTEE MEETINGS (Standard and Special)
Committee meetings shall be called by the President, or by the chair of the committee. All committee meetings should be held after prior notice is given to the President.
Complaints may be brought against any member of the BBSA by another BBSA member for conduct which is detrimental to the good and welfare of the organization violates policy, or these by-laws. All cases involving charges of conduct as stated above shall be sent to the President, in writing, within five (5) days of the alleged violations. The President shall call a special meeting of the Board of Directors to hear the alleged charges.
In case of serious infraction of policy or by-laws, the President has authority to suspend any member until a hearing before the Board of Directors.
The Board will call the two (2) parties and witnesses involved to a hearing with in five (5) days after signed written complaint the alleged charges. Time and place shall be agreeable upon all parties involved
If complaint member does not appear, all charges shall be dismissed.
The Board of Directors shall reach a decision after hearing all facts at the hearing and notify all parties of the results within forty-eight (48) hours of the decision. Via ballot vote.
DISSOLVING THE CORPORTATION
If the BBSA is dissolved, all of the assets will be given to another non-profit organization, which has been approved by the membership.